Thursday, November 29, 2012

Being Homeless For a Night

Every day is a new adventure for me, it seems.
My toilet started backing up into my bathtub and in a very small studio house, smell can really travel.
My dad was a certified plumber, but he's been gone for years.
So I wasn't really sure what to do. I learn some basic skills at work, but there aren't many jobs involving bathtubs at the school I work at. I can't afford a plumber and still be able to pay the rent this month.
My landlord is on vacation in Fiji and couldn't be bothered. 
I couldn't crash on my best friend Bill's couch, because he's homeless.
The only thing I could do was sit in my disgusting house, or seek the assistance of a neighbor.
Well, obviously I'm not going to ask D for help, because he killed my dog.
So, I tried another house near mine. I'd never seen who lives there before. The house is all painted black, covered in some white spray paint doodles and has boarded-up windows. They were boarded up with cardboard, actually. I chose this house because it actually looked pretty decent! I was sure a nice family lived there.
Boy, was I wrong.  D'jonique slammed the door right in my face.
HEY D'JONIQUE, I JUST PUT YOU ON BLAST ON THE INTERNET. WHAT YOU GONNA DO?
So since I was pretty shaken up about D'jonique's rudeness, I decided to find Bill and see where he took refuge. Apparently, he sleeps under a bridge not too far from my house!
It was a little hard to sleep with all the cars passing by, but at least I had my favorite blanket. Some people stared on, but I figured it was just a glimpse into Bill's everyday life, and it gave me a little sympathy for him and a new appreciation for what I do have - a roof over my head. When there aren't any plumbing problems, of course.
I was even able to get to work on time and smelling pretty decent!
And now, here I am at the library, telling my diligent non-readers my story.

Until tomorrow,
Sparkles

P.S. Anyone know anything about plumbing?


2 comments: